Hello to all! My name is Chris Rendall, and in December of 2010 I went to India for 2 weeks with my friend Anup and his family.

The purpose of my visit was to see as much of India as possible, and to learn as much about its culture and people. It had been a dream of mine to visit India for quite some time before the opportunity to go actually came up. I had become quite obsessed with Indian music, and once my wife began cooking Indian food, I was hooked! When Anup, a friend of mine since childhood, told me in mid 2010 he was going to India in December (he is Indian so he and his family make regular visits to India), I jumped at the chance when asked to tag along.

Of course I had some initial reservations (despite the fact that not even a year before I had practically begged Anup to bring me along if the opportunity ever arose), such as the financial cost, medical and hygienic concerns, concern for person safety and wellbeing, and also the hardship of being away from my wife for 2 weeks. But in the end my desire to see India overwhelmed all my concerns.

This blog is a collection of my daily writing while in India, from the time of my arrival to departure. Knowing how bad I am at remembering details of things that I have experienced, I decided to keep a journal of my thoughts and experiences. I kept a paper journal, and then typed up my writings when I returned home (I didn’t want to carry my laptop to India). Because of this, this blog is not being updated real time, but was rather posted all at once after I had finished editing my writings. The purpose of these writings are threefold. First, for my own recollection. Second, to share with my family, friends, and others the things that I experienced and felt while in India. Third, to give information, advice, and inspiration to any who would consider venturing to India.

While the trip to India was an amazing experience, no trip is ever without its hardships or difficulties. I did a bit of editing, but I also tried not to censor times that I was feeling particularly upset or down. I think it will help those who have unrealistic expectations about India, and also those who want an authentic experience from the point of view of an American who has grown up in a somewhat sheltered life in comparison with the rest of the world.

I hope you enjoy this blog, and feel free to leave comments!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 to Wednesday December 22, 2010


The next morning I woke up Anup was in the room so I asked how he was able to get in during the night. Apparently he knocked on the door while I was sleeping, and I woke up and let him in. I have zero recollection of doing that.

Anup told me that the Hindu event he went to with his family in New Mumbai had 3.5 million people, and the temperature was 105 degrees. I can’t even fathom what it would be like to be in a field with 3.5 million people.

Anup's picture of event....endless people

We got a late start today. There isn’t a lot sightseeing wise to see in Mumbai in my opinion, and the heat and traffic make traveling difficult. Mumbai has the worst traffic of any city in the entire world, and it was like a biblical plague of cars and exhaust. Despite this, we ventured out around noon to see this beach side street which was supposed to be similar to The Strand in Galveston, with shops and a nice walking area. Turns out it was just a street with apartment complexes on it, with a view of this really rocky beach area where people were washing their clothes in the ocean water (not sure how murky salt water can clean anything).

Some people just live out there



Interestingly we saw a lot of couples here, displaying their affection for each other. This is the first time I’ve seen this in India. It is very much taboo to be anything but modest in public, something I was beginning to enjoy. Even in the movies the actors do not kiss in the “sex scenes”, but instead do this weird necking thing where they are touching but awkwardly. Many of the girls holding hands with their boyfriends had their faces covered. Some were obviously Muslim, but others were not, meaning that some of the girls did not want to be seen holding a man’s hand, especially one that is not their husband.

Next we went to a large market, I did not catch the name. It was very crowded and every shop seems to sell the same stuff. I’ve noticed that a lot in India, how it seems like every person is trying to sell you the same stuff. It makes me wonder how anybody can make a profit when you are choosing from 3 shops next door to each other with the same product. I suppose this is why everyone stand outside their shops screaming at you to get you to come in. Whoever is more persuasive sells the most. I bought bangles for Rachel’s sisters at this market.

Market



The heat was beginning to be so unbearable and we were so covered in sweat, that Anup, Lopa, and I went back to the hotel around 6 pm. I packed up my bags to head to the airport that night to head back home, took a shower, and ate dinner at the hotel. Anup and Lopa sat with me while I ate, and the food was fantastic. A song came on the radio about going home and we all laughed at the irony.

Just as I was heading out the door for the airport, I decided to check my email one last time and check for flight updates. I did this because throughout the day my flight time for Mumbai to London had been changed multiple times by British Airways, without notification or warning. As I refreshed my email inbox, I saw the email I had been dreading. My flight from London to Houston had been cancelled due to snow at Heathrow Airport in London. The email simply said the flight was cancelled, and offered no refund or alternative flight or arrangements. I decided that there was no way I was getting stuck in London for Christmas, which had been the fate of many poor families this year. My heart goes out to them. While my situation was now much less than ideal, I was fortunate to still be in Mumbai and I have options.

The British Airways re-booking website was down, and all their phone lines were busy. I decided the only way to figure this out and get home was to go to the Mumbai airport directly  and deal with the British Airways clerks in person. This took me away from any safety net or translators, I was completely on my own at the airport, one of the worst places to be in India. Anup’s parents told me to play ignorant of the flight cancellation so that way they would be forced to help me. What amazing advice that turned out to be. Anup’s dad was also kind enough to lend me a cell phone that I could call him with, and to let me borrow cash in case I got stuck in London or somewhere else. I hopped into a taxi to head to the airport.

I arrived to the check in area at the hotel around 10 pm. Nobody was waiting in line at the counter since it wasn’t going to be open to check bags for another 30 minutes. I wanted to be first in line since I know that would give me the most available options, since most of the other people on that flight would end up being in the same situation as me. Rather than sit with everyone else and make a break for it when it opened. I just saw in the line on top of my luggage, all by myself. I was determined.

The booth didn’t open until 10:50, typical India. The British Airways clerk was very stressed out when she saw my flight was cancelled. I acted very surprised and distraught, but stayed calm and polite with her. She kept trying to put me off to the side so she could help people who didn’t have connecting flight issues (which weren’t many), but I stayed firm and kept requesting her help. Eventually she found me a flight directly from Mumbai to Newark, on Air India. Then she found me a connecting flight from Newark to Houston on Continental Airlines. I was so happy and thankful because I had felt so desperate to be home. Although the flight was 16.5 hours, I was so thankful to be going home and skipping the nightmare that was London.

When I finally boarded my Air India flight, I was expecting a small, old plane. Small because not many people were at the gate, old because India is not known for its top notch travel accommodations. I was pleasantly surprised to walk onto a very large plane with personal TV screens in each seat. It was also quite empty, so I was looking forward to stretching out my legs and relaxing on this long flight. About 5 minutes before takeoff, the other two thirds of the ticket holders showed up. In typical Indian fashion, they flooded the plane in a chaotic manner, brought on too much carry-on luggage, messed with other peoples carry-on luggage who made it to the plane on time, and delayed take off by 30 minutes.

I have learned so much patience during my time in India. 16 hour flights aren’t fun, but it’s really not bothering me. It just is what it is, and I’m going home. I think before I came here that would have driven me crazy. I also can deal with hunger much better since I haven’t been eating regularly.

There are American movies and Bollywood films to choose from. Bollywood films are all so similar, its just a bunch of wealthy people in confusing, drawn out love stories, always with a happy ending. Always. We hit some crazy turbulence early in the flight. I felt like I was going to fall out of my seat. I drank a whiskey and coke on the flight. I read most of the time, and did not sleep at all.

I got to Newark after the extremely long flight. Best feeling I’ve had in the past few days was turning on my cell phone and using it to call Rachel.

A few re-culturing shocks right off the bat. Restaurants with meat, drinkable water, couples making out, black people, and efficient movement.

My first meal back in America? Grilled chicken sandwich from a café with a McDonalds ice cream cone.

It's good to be home!
 I hope you have enjoyed my blog about my trip to India. Thanks for reading and good luck on your future world travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment