Hello to all! My name is Chris Rendall, and in December of 2010 I went to India for 2 weeks with my friend Anup and his family.

The purpose of my visit was to see as much of India as possible, and to learn as much about its culture and people. It had been a dream of mine to visit India for quite some time before the opportunity to go actually came up. I had become quite obsessed with Indian music, and once my wife began cooking Indian food, I was hooked! When Anup, a friend of mine since childhood, told me in mid 2010 he was going to India in December (he is Indian so he and his family make regular visits to India), I jumped at the chance when asked to tag along.

Of course I had some initial reservations (despite the fact that not even a year before I had practically begged Anup to bring me along if the opportunity ever arose), such as the financial cost, medical and hygienic concerns, concern for person safety and wellbeing, and also the hardship of being away from my wife for 2 weeks. But in the end my desire to see India overwhelmed all my concerns.

This blog is a collection of my daily writing while in India, from the time of my arrival to departure. Knowing how bad I am at remembering details of things that I have experienced, I decided to keep a journal of my thoughts and experiences. I kept a paper journal, and then typed up my writings when I returned home (I didn’t want to carry my laptop to India). Because of this, this blog is not being updated real time, but was rather posted all at once after I had finished editing my writings. The purpose of these writings are threefold. First, for my own recollection. Second, to share with my family, friends, and others the things that I experienced and felt while in India. Third, to give information, advice, and inspiration to any who would consider venturing to India.

While the trip to India was an amazing experience, no trip is ever without its hardships or difficulties. I did a bit of editing, but I also tried not to censor times that I was feeling particularly upset or down. I think it will help those who have unrealistic expectations about India, and also those who want an authentic experience from the point of view of an American who has grown up in a somewhat sheltered life in comparison with the rest of the world.

I hope you enjoy this blog, and feel free to leave comments!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Final Word: Tips for Traveling in India


Look for STD phones in internet cafes rather than standalone STD booths, the rate will be much better. For example, in a booth the rate was 25 rupees/min. I found an internet café with a rate of 1 rupee/min, meaning I could call the US for 1 hour and pay only $1.50.

Do not eat cold food for any reason, unless it’s your last day and you want to chance it.

Always ask for drinks without ice.

Ask for things 30 minutes to an hour before you actually need them. 5 minutes =30 minutes in India.

Do not make jerky movements when crossing the street in traffic. Drivers here are trained to weave around people and cars, and you will be fine if you calmly walk in a straight line, even if cars are coming. Be careful not to bring this tactic back home, or you might get run over.

Brush your teeth with bottled water, do not open your mouth in the shower.

If you can check 2 bags for free, pack everything into 1 bag, and fill a second bag with 50 pounds of bottled water. Indian bottled water is less reliable and also has a strange taste because it has no fluoride.

Avoid traveling in India during summertime or monsoon season.

Don’t wear a fanny pack, it makes you a target for theft. I used a money and passport belt that went around my waste underneath my shirt.

Never attempt to drive in India, always hire a car.

A small water boiler might be a good idea to bring.

If you are easily car sick, I would not travel in India. The jerky movements in Indian traffic will make you very sick.

Don’t come to India with the mindset that comes from watching American charity commercials, like “Oh look how these poor people live.” The people for the most part do not desire much more than they have, and are content. If anything, leave India with an appreciation for what you have been blessed with.

If you don’t want to be hassled by shop owners, keep your eyes straight ahead as you walk, do not look at them, their shop, or their merchandise. Do not stop walking when they approach you.

For the most part, don’t think you will get amazing deals in India, that was back in the good old days. Quality is quality and you will pay for it.

Bring mouthwash. I didn’t and I paid for it.

Check every piece of something for quality and part substitution before you buy it.

Pack a pair of shorts if you go to Mumbai. This is really the only city where it is appropriate to wear them.

Do not come to India, go to all the tourist places, and think you have seen India. They are nothing like 99% of Indian people actually live.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, this is awesome stuff! Thanks for taking the time to tell the rest of us about India during such an incredible time in their history. Sounds like a place in drastic transition.

    ReplyDelete